Friday, March 30, 2012

Tulips. Two Lips. Fickle Lips.

It's Spring and the tulips are popping up all over the city.  Usually March in New York is still very, very cold.  And the past two Winters I've been here there have still been layers and layers of frozen snow and ice, and an April snow isn't out of the ordinary.  However, true to our very mild and warm Winter, this Spring came on quite early (as is happening all over the country, so I'm sure you're pickin' up what I'm puttin' down).  We've already had days in the mid-70's and I've already rocked my jorts on a couple of occasions.  Point being, I LOVE SPRING.  It's so hard not to feel optimistic and happy in Spring.  The world just seems brighter and full of possibilities!  Summer is ahead, and I start looking towards days in Central Park, or taking the train out to the beach.  But Spring is also very fickle.  Like I said, it's already gotten up to the 70's, but then one day earlier this week it was down in the 20's.  I just wish Spring would stick!

And I had a realization this week, as I saw all the tulips from the window of the M79 crosstown bus.  Tulips make me angry.  I resent them.  Every year they pop up, sometimes forcing their way through snow drifts, and I think what my mother always said:  "Oh boy!  Tulips!  The promise of Spring!"  And then they sit there, all brightly colored and snarky amongst the snow... holding their heads high through the 20 degree weather.  Mocking me.  Laughing in my face.  But this year is different.  This year, when I realized they made me angry I decided to write about it.  And now, I can't help but smile at all the beautiful tulips.  And yesterday I bought myself some beautiful yellow tulips to brighten my apartment.  Because Spring HAS Sprung!  Next up, though... is April.  Those darn April showers.  April showers bring May flowers.  And we all know May flowers bring pilgrims.

No comments: