Saturday, June 23, 2012

Forgotten Drawer

The human brain is an amazing thing.  I can't even begin to understand how it works... but I sure thank baby Jesus that it DOES work.

The other day I was getting ready for yoga, which typically consists of putting on one of my yoga specific sports bras and tiny shorts (that I would NEVER wear outside of the studio) with some terrible cover up.  My usual cover ups include every article of clothing I have ever cut, bleached, or stained in some accidental/embarrassing way.  However, I was working my first shift at the studio and decided that I wanted to wear a cover up that was a little bit nicer (ie doesn't look like I survived a dragon attack wearing it).  I knew that somewhere I had some shorts and tank tops from my running days, but after looking EVERYWHERE to no avail, I begrudgingly resorted to a onesie that I tend to wear as REAL clothes, not yoga cover up clothes.

A couple days later, as I was digging through my closet looking for something or other (I have no idea how I lose so many things in this tiny studio apartment), I happened to notice my little canvas bureau doohickey (technical term) that has 3 separate drawers.  THREE drawers.  Not TWO.  For some reason... I had completely forgotten the middle drawer existed.  The top drawer contains my socks, underwear, and sparkly fairy wand (where do you keep yours?) while the bottom drawer holds my pajamas that I never wear but keep in case of emergency.  However... I had no idea what was within the mystery middle drawer.  I also had no idea when it was that I last opened said drawer, and furthermore, I had no idea when or why it slipped out of my realm of awareness.  I opened the drawer with great anticipation, and lo and behold, it was stuffed to the brim with t-shirts, shorts, tank tops, and sports bras!!!


"Score!" I said to myself.  I'm thrilled to have some less homeless looking clothes to wear to yoga... and, yes, I've already cut down 2 of the shirts I found in the drawer (maybe I need to re-access my scissor usage) to make them more to my liking... and yes, I'm a bit perplexed.

How has my mind LITERALLY ignored this drawer?  My brain has straight out ignored its existence.  If my brain can so easily ignore a drawer that it sees (or, well... my eyes see and then transmit that image info to my brain and therefore to my consciousness) EVERY day, what else is it so easily ignoring?  What else in my life do I see every day, but fail to recognize?

22 days ago I began a journey to really and truly re-haul my life.  This has included (but is not limited to) cutting alcohol out of my life, limiting my social encounters during the week, and returning to my journaling ways (3 small examples.)  Lots of good things have come out of this thus far.  Is this drawer just one more example?  Or... is it... just a drawer? Perhaps it's merely something I'm admitting to the interwebs that adds more fuel to what my mother has said since the day I started losing things: "You're just looking with your nose."

I don't know... I don't think so.  I like to think I'm unlocking little parts of my brain that I personally locked myself, for some unbeknownst reason.   It is, however, kinda weirding me out... What if there's a LITERAL elephant in the room, and I'm just not seeing it?


4 comments:

Kathryn Theriot said...

Awe I love this post! I'm glad you found your yoga-wear pot of gold!

The Incubator said...

We all look with our noses at times. Such is the spice of life. Your apartment is kind of like your life -- there is so much in there as there is so much going on in your life that you need to keep your "eagles eyes" out to make sure all your balls are up in the air at the same time!!!

Melissa B said...

I'm now afraid there could be elephants in my apartment, too! ;)

Anonymous said...

I want to find a drawer like this...filled with money, plane tickets and candy. Just throwing that out there.