Tuesday, August 2, 2011

A Brief Intermission

Wait... Intermission? But didn't this thing just get started? I have, if nothing else in life, impeccable timing. Why in the world would start a blog and then skip town? Poorly planned? It may appear so... But I swear... I have my reasons.

I'm going to Louisiana tomorrow for a week. Well, a little under a week. But still. A nice break from the craziness that is NYC. For the first time ever, I am leaving NYC and don't really want to leave NYC. I have actual things to do when I get back. I actually feel like I live here now. Good Lord. It's about time. It only took me close to 2 years.

Things I have planned for my return to the city:
1) Create a schedule for myself.
  • I realized that I work best with a schedule. When I was in college and had classes to attend, I hardly ever skipped. I would arrange my life around those classes, and was pretty darn productive. In my life, without a 9-5 job... I have a lot of free time. Which is exactly what I need for my artistic endeavors. Unfortunately... I do not maximize this free time. When I return to the city, I plan on creating a Monday to Sunday schedule. Hour by hour. When I wake up. What I will do. And then, knowing myself as well as I do, I will create a system of rewards and punishments for myself for when I adhere to this new schedule. Yes... it's very reminiscent of those charts kids use that say "brush my teeth" or "make my bed" and then the reward is a gold star. My stakes are a little higher... more like "write a balance blog" or "work on artwork" or "monologue work", etc. My rewards will be more along the lines of "dinner with a friend" or "glass of wine" or "pint of Ben and Jerry's". However... I really do like gold stars.
2) 3o Day Bikram Yoga Challenge.
  • I've already signed up. This is happening. 30 days of Bikram Yoga. Every day, y'all. Yesterday I ran 3 miles and then went to Bikram Yoga. Today when I woke up... the hardest part of Bikram was getting my butt out of my door. But now that I'm home, I'm so glad that I did. I guess what I'm saying is... some days you feel like you can climb mountains. And others you feel like a mountain is sitting on top of you. Maintaining my running 3-4 miles at least 3 days a week is what's really going to be the challenge. I like Bikram so much more than I like running, but I have to maintain what I've worked up to in my running.
3) Project Get an Agent
  • I signed up for a monologue challenge with the theatre company I'm currently in. It's August 26. There are 5 guest judges who are all agents with different agencies. I will force one of them to fall in love with me, sign me, and then get me auditions. Maybe all 5. We'll see. There are 45 contestants total... but only one of ME! Also, in October I'll be doing a showcase for several agents that I will be targeting... so... come on. If I don't sign with someone... maybe I'm in the wrong biz?
So... I have a lot of stuff going on that requires a heck of a lot of self motivation. Hard work. Perseverance. And less socializing. ...I LOVE socializing.

Balance.

However, for the next week I will be hanging with some of my dearest friends in Louisiana. Three days in New Orleans with my best friend who's getting married next May, and three days in Baton Rouge. Bring on the humidity.

Oh, and just to keep you intrigued... Future planned blogs entail video blogs of me cooking delicious gluten and dairy free vegetarian fare, Dating and the City, and Deep Thoughts With Brittany.

I know. Sounds completely and utterly AMAZING.

Thanks for dropping by. See ya in a week!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The schedule is a great idea! I need to make one, too. I used to LOVE getting those star stickers. Heck! It might still work as a motivator for me ;)

I'm so excited for you to be doing yoga. I've enjoyed P90X yoga in the past, and am doing (occasionally) some pregnancy yoga. As for the running, I'm super proud of you! I won't be joining you in that endeavor, though.

An agent...that sounds so fancy and professional!

I'm so happy for you to be going to LA for some family and friend time.

All those blog post categories have me excited! I'll be eagerly awaiting your next post when you return home.

Anonymous said...

I just realized this font actually reminds me of your handwriting a little bit. Neat!

Melissa said...

Of course one or all of them will fall in love with you! How could they not! I am so excited you are blogging again - I hope you provide details of all of your artistic endeavors! :) So excited about the yoga challenge you are doing...that.is.awesome.

LOVE YOU!