Monday, May 21, 2012

Recap

Well, I've officially been back to life for almost 2 weeks, and it's been one crazy ride!  I've also been hiding from this blog and anything that's relevant to responsibility in my life... woops!

I thrust myself back into my survival job immediately.  After arriving at my apartment long enough to drop off my suitcases and freshen up, I headed straight to work.  I had a serious break down the last night I was in LA at the dinner table (I wonder how many breakdowns have occurred at that table over the years?) regarding my survival job.  I just... want some normalcy in my life.  That isn't a bar.  With 100s of drunk people.  And working until 4 in the morning and trying to lead a semi-normal day life as well.  I know that I'm blessed and many others work the exact same schedule, or worse.  But... I also know that it's slowly driving me bonkers, and I really don't have very far to go.

Then came the beating of the dead horse:  I got the news about my dear friend's taxi incident, my sister moved to Germany, and my wallet was stolen.  For one second I remember thinking, "Seriously, Universe?  Are you SERIOUS right now?  I feel like you're telling me to pack my bags and turn tail back home."  But then the Universe was like, "Now hang on a second, lil missy, I'm not done yet.  And let's be honest, you're being kinda dramatic.  You're gonna go work this really cool stand-in job on Survivor, you're going to get a work study offer at your yoga studio, and you're going to realize you have a lot of cool stuff in your life.  Also, this guy named Angel called to tell you he has your wallet. So snap out of it, already."

The Universe can get kinda sassy with me.  But usually I need it.

So, last weekend I worked as a stand-in on the Survivor: One World Reunion show.  Basically, the hour long live reunion show aired Sunday night, but NOTHING about reality or live tv is real or live... or at least, very little.  So we (the stand-ins) spent Friday and Saturday running the hour long reunion show over and over and over to get all the camera angles right, the set right, the lighting right, EVERYTHING RIGHT.  Sunday the actual cast came in and I met Jeff Probst.  We ran the show once with him interviewing us (pretending to be the actual survivors), and the actual cast watching so they could see what to do.  It was a super cool experience for me, as it was my first time on a tv set and my first Union job.  So we had super special badges that gave us access to the street that was closed off to everyone else, and there was a craft service table with free snacks and drinks.  To me... that's exciting.  And I know soon it will be something I take for granted... so... treasure the memory I suppose!  The best part was we were shooting on the David Letterman stage which is at the Ed Sullivan Theatre--so I was on the same stage that EVERYONE WHO'S ANYONE has been on.  And I can't wait for the next time I'm on it.  When David Letterman is interviewing me.  It's gotta happen, y'all.

With my "special access" pass
The next great thing was the owner of my yoga studio approached me about doing work study.  Work study means I work at the studio one day a week answering phones, doing laundry, cleaning mirrors, blah blah blah... and I get to study for free!  So that saves me $125 a month!

AND my Momma and I are plannin' a trip to Paris and Germany, to see my sister who will be at that point VERY PREGGERS.

So, nose back to the grindstone... or... whatever that saying is.  Time to get crackin'!

Which is so hard when the summer weather is calling my name.........


4 comments:

Melissa said...

That is SO COOL about the Survivor thing!!! Awesome, Brit K! And the yoga work study thing too!! Is that going to take the place of the bar job? B/c that would be even more awesome!!

So excited for you! And all the good things coming up!! Yay!

And i totally believe i will see you on David Letterman one day! And i will clap & cheer & tell everyone they have to watch my good friend Brit K on Letterman! :)

Kathryn Theriot said...

OMG Survivor sounded really legit!! We need another phone date so you can tell me all about it! Also, SO excited about the work study program!!

The Incubator said...

Can I say that it is so exciting to me that you were on the same stage as the BEATLES when they first appeared on the American stage on the Ed Sullivan show!!!? How about that! Yes, you can now dream about that:) What a blessing the yoga job is! You are one of my special Angels!

Anonymous said...

Wasn't the cab driver on the way to the airport (pre-Disney trip) named Angel, also? I think it's safe to safe God's got angels watching over you, girlfriend!