Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Namaste Y'all

I love Louisiana.  I do.  It's just filled with the nicest people, and it's so warm and beautiful and HAPPY!

I got in yesterday evening and the first thing I did, after my friend Brittany picked me up from the airport, was stop for a drive through daiquiri.  It's a novelty that you can't find outside of Louisiana.  Even just finding a daiquiri is hard in New York... so, it's always one of my favorite parts of getting to the city.  (I never really loved daiquiris until I could no longer have them... I guess it's a sort of "the grass is always greener" thing). Daiquiris in hand, we then stopped by her house to settle in and hang with her boyfriend (who is also lead guitar in their BAND which I will tell you more about in a bit.)  Since all I'd eaten since 9 am was some popcorn chips on the plane, my tummy started to grumble, so we headed out to the Bywater for some delicious wine and food at this adorable outdoor eatery called Bacchanal.  The menu changes weekly according to whoever their guest chef is, you purchase a bottle of wine from their huge wine shop, and then you eat outside where a live jazz band serenades you.  It was like being inside a southern fairy tale as the patio was strung with colored Christmas lights, and the tables were lit with huge anti-mosquito torches (which did very little to keep the June bugs away).

This morning, we woke up early and headed to Brittany's first ever Bikram yoga class!  It was my first time to do yoga outside of my studio, and Brittany was so brave and faced her first class with strength and determination that was truly admirable.  I was so proud of her!  She did most every posture and loved the class.  The teacher was great--she sounded just like Annie Pots--and I LOVED the change in atmosphere.  It was like a whole different class.  Now I can't wait to travel all of the world doing Bikram in different studios.  New goal!

We grabbed Greek food for lunch afterwards, which was delightful, and it was within walking distance of Britt's house.  Today has been a true re-introduction to Louisiana weather.  When we headed out for yoga, it was cloudy and threatening rain--during yoga it must have rained, and then afterwards, the sun was shining brightly.  By the time we headed out for Greek, it was raining again--a light, beautiful Spring rain--and then while we ate it was pouring and I heard some great Louisiana thunder; one of my very favorite things (Britt said it may have been a train, but I decided it was most definitely thunder.)

Humidity.  Oh, Louisiana, the only place where my stick straight hair gets all wavy and in disarray.  Where you can feel the air going in your nose and down your windpipe.  If you're thirsty, just open wide and swallow some air!  I'm so happy to be back.  Sometimes it's tempting enough to stay permanently...

But now, let me bring you this week's ukulele video--my favorite thus far, as I get to share it with my Britt Britt (here's the link to her band's facebook page I mention in the video: https://www.facebook.com/jigcity)


CONGRATULATIONS, KATHRYN!!!  Can't wait for the wedding on Saturday and all of the festivities that will surround this special day.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

Aw! Y'all are so cute! I love that she did the yoga class with you too! And your description of Louisiana is perfect! Haha! I miss you! When do i get to see your lovely face?! :)

Kathryn Theriot said...

Awe. That made my day. It was so so so special to me.