Friday, August 19, 2011

Paula Dean, I Am Not

Well, folks, here we have it! My first attempt at a video blog... in a series I have dubbed "Britt's Kitchen." I know. REALLY CLEVER TITLE.

When my sister and I were little girls, we would sit at the kitchen table with bowls of ice cream in front of us and a spread of sprinkles and syrups pretending that we were the hosts of a cooking show. We would wait until our ice cream was melted down to resemble cake batter, and then we would prepare our "cakes" by combining the different "ingredients" (ice cream toppings). So... now I have realized that dream of having my own cooking show by videoing myself cooking... And it is REAL professional. Especially the watermark on the video which informs you all that I am using unactivated editing software. I apologize for the amounts of technical difficulties I had in losing footage, camera cards filling up, and batteries dying... but hope that you enjoy the 16 minute long cooking show that I made.... that took me 4 hours to make... I swear it won't take you 4 hours to make this cake. Tops 1 hour... That being said, here is the video, and below is the recipe (if you want to avoid the 16 minute video, all of the steps are included in the recipe listed below)



I have the recipe as it appears in my cookbook, but then in
parentheses I put the things that I did when I made it, just so you
can choose whichever you want!

Prep Time: 10 min
Cooking Time: 30 min
Serves: 10

7 tablespoons dairy free margarine, plus extra for greasing (I usually use "I
Can't Believe It's Not Butter and Pam for greasing... not 100% dairy
free, but pretty close)
8 oz dairy free dark chocolate, with at least 70% cocoa solids (I used
Baker's unsweetened chocolate squares that were 100% cocoa)
6 eggs, separated
2/3 cup fruit sugar (I just used normal sugar)

Topping: (This is the thing I never got around to making...)
5 oz dairy free dark chocolate with at least 70% cocoa solids
scant 1/2 cup chestnut puree
3 tbsp fruit sugar
2 tbsp dairy free margarine

1. Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly grease an 8 inch springform cake
pan with dairy free margarine and line the bottom with a circle of
baking parchment (I just used my brownie pan, though I did line the
bottom of it with baking parchment. I think that's important because
the cake can be very crumbly and I think that helps hold it together)
2. Break the chocolate into small pieces and place in a large
heatproof bowl. Rest the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water,
making sure the bottom of the bowl does not touch the water; stir
from time to time until the chocolate melts. Add the margarine to the
bowl and continue stirring occasionally until it completely melts and
is mixed in with the chocolate. Remove from the heat.
3. Put the egg whites in a mixing bowl and whisk using an electric
mixer until they form stiff peaks. Add the sugar and continue
whisking until they form glossy peaks.
4. Lightly beat the egg yolks in another bowl, then stir into the
melted chocolate mixture until well blended. With a large metal
spoon, carefully fold in the whisked egg whites until they are
thoroughly mixed in.
5. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake in the hot oven
25-30 minutes until risen and cooked around the side, but still
slightly soft in the middle. Insert a skewer into the middle of the
cake and if there is only a little of the cake batter sticking to it,
the cake is ready. Take the cake out of the oven and leave to cool in
the pan about 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and leave to
cool completely.
6. Meanwhile, prepare the topping. Melt the chocolate as above. Add
the chestnut puree and sugar and stir well, then stir in the margarine
until thoroughly blended. Remove from the heat, leave to cool, and
serve with slices of cake.

Side note: I put unsalted crunchy peanut butter on top of my piece of cake... and it was DIVINE. DIVINE I TELL YOU!!

4 comments:

The Incubator said...

I see a future for you on the cooking channel -- you did a great job, and I think the cake looked great:)

OldWarrior said...

The Next Food Network Star is born! It looked so good that I could almost taste it. In fact, I did - Mom brought me a piece.

kceseal said...

I was fortunate enough to taste the gluten-wheat-dairy free chocolate cake and it was yum! I'm waiting for the next installment....consider making red velvet stuffed cupcakes....and then consider sending me some. :)

Anonymous said...

Not everyone needs to be Paula Dean. I think Britt's Kitchen has a nice ring to it ;)

Just so you know, when a recipe says prep time 10 minutes and cook time 30 minutes, it usually takes me closer to 30 minutes prep time and 30 minutes cook time. I imagine it would definitely take me a few hours to bake a cake if I tried videoing myself! You did great! I'd love to be in the audience for one of your cooking shows :)